I don’t know about you, but for me I find my mind has a tendency to write off getting anything of significance done between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. Why I do this is unclear because the “now” is always loaded with possibilities. Maybe it is the habit of falling fully into the distractions of this time of year. I am more a sunny weather kind of person and the short days and the gray skies make me put my head down and push towards Spring.
Like most humans I love a good distraction and this time of year has lots of things going on that allow me to be focused outward instead of inward. I think of holiday programs, sports, shopping, movies and other things that keep me busy in a wait till next year kind of way.
This holiday season I am going to live more fully in the now and mine the richness of each day. I will give thanks not because it is a holiday but because in fact I have many things to appreciate. I love the holiday times because that means sharing with family and friends. This is all positive stuff. At the same time I want to stretch towards a more open heart, deepen my connection to my spirit, live with strength and intention, and be bold in taking actions to move my life forward.
Setting a few guidelines to help me finish this year strongly makes a lot of sense to me.
Here are my guidelines, which you are welcome to borrow, adapt or ignore:
- Set an intention each morning to be mindful of my: thoughts, intuition, heart, feelings and spirit
- Spread love and light, compassion and consciousness every day
- Make a plan to get our into the world, move that plan into action
- Sing more, move and dance to the beat of my soul
- Take time daily for meditation and other inner practices
- Get outside even in the wind and rain and enjoy nature
- Move into everything I do with passion, purpose and determination
- Do yoga, run, build strength, be fit, care for well-being
- Eat to energize, not anesthetize
- Have fun, choose happiness, enjoy life, laugh often
The next few days I will be visiting family near Portland and may not put up a new post. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and hope you now is rich with possibilities.